Thursday, April 22, 2010

Climpson & Sons

Like almost all West Indians,  I have an aunt that lives in London.  I did not expect to have any good coffee when passing through her neighborhood.  So I was surprised when across the street from her house I saw the newly opened Climpson & Sons.  While I was happy to stumble across a place on my coffee destination list, I also recognized the changing (read gentrification) of my aunt's neighborhood, a hint that she may not be able to afford her flat in a few years time.  But this blog is not about urban migratory patterns and how they are affected by capitalism and class, it is about coffee. 

In the London coffee shops of old, (which means most coffeeshops that I tried to avoid) people would sprinkle cocoa on your espresso while making a cappuccino.  Leaving the poor populace with the impression that a cappuccino was some sort of chocolate coffee drink. I unfortunately encountered this practice at Climpson & Sons.  I will say that when I visited in January, the barista did not do this and since it was Easter Monday there was a replacement barista but this cocoa stuff coming between me and my cappuccino is just madness.  Can someone start a campaign to end this?

I could not buy beans at this store so I had to get them at a store later in my tour that carries their beans.  Generally, Climpson & Sons is highly respected as roasters on the London scene.  There was always a good flow of people and I bumped into Cameron, the barista from Flat White, on my way out the door.  People who know and love coffee go to Climpsons. I had a chance to taste their coffee sans cocoa and found it to be mellow but loosing its stronger elements when served with milk resulting in a laid back effect.  It is a solid blend but it does not take many risks. That said, I have a lot of respect for them and how they have helped to raised the bar in UK coffee.  Check out this video about their humble beginnings.


The Hackney store is small and sports a spare style.  The seating and counters are made from milk crates and corrugated tin as well as other salvaged materials but still comes off as clean and intentional.  There is an unexplained radio station set-up in the corner by the door.  My favorite nook however was the back corner where you could look over the backyard and shed through the huge old-fashioned window.


63 Wilton Way, E8 1BG 
67 Broadway Market, London, E8 4PH






No comments:

Post a Comment