Monday, April 26, 2010

Lantana



Lantana is another Australian import, bringing great coffee and food to London. The vibe is more like a restaurant than a coffee bar though and they have a full, widely celebrated menu of Aussie brunch food.

Some die hard coffee geeks believe that you have to choose between a full kitchen and awesome coffee.  So far Lantana has a dedicated owner who is  proving them wrong.  It was the only place on my tour with a full kitchen and the coffee was superb.  They use Monmouth beans and pour good Latte art. I was not blown away but I enjoyed my cup. I did not try their food. They have a dedicated barista who seemed tired and grumpy but skilled.

The waiters come meet you at a table which threw me off and the place is not set up for standing at the counter and witnessing your coffee happen or talking to your barista.  It is tiny and widely popular, so not very relaxing.  I felt like I was in the way with my meager coffee drinks and bothersome questions.  I was overwhelmed by the people and restaurant environment.

I'd recommend it if you wanted a meal and solid espresso but not if your main goal is to drink coffee. Lantana is sandwiched between Kaffeine and Tapped & Packed and, for coffee, it is not the best of the three so there is no need to stand in their long line for your coffee fix.


Lantana
13 Charlotte Place
Fitzrovia, W1T 1

No comments:

Post a Comment