Thursday, April 22, 2010

Flat White

I could not have picked a better first stop for my London Coffee Tour than Flat White, the Australian coffee invasion of London.  Serving up their own blend of Square Mile roasted beans with a passion on 2 La Marzocco Lineas  are two serious baristas.  The most passionate barista I've met in a while, Cameron, is a New Zealander who talks about coffee the way others talk about a lover.  He got really excited when we started talking about coffee from Papa New Guinea and his accent got super strong and started to escape my American ears but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The coolest thing beside the coffee at Flat White is the friendly staff which was a bit of welcome culture shock for me after living in Berlin.  I felt like I was at home.  That's Claire behind the counter, Eric whipping up sandwiches, the afore mentioned Cameron and another mysterious barista who only talks through the delicious drinks he makes.

Flat White is obviously not a secret because there was another crazy coffee customer who made a special pilgrimage to the store and was animatedly asking about the mechanics of the espresso machine. I visited on Easter Sunday and Flat White was open and busy.
After my awesome experience there, I am not surprised.

Flat White, 17 Berwick Street W1. Tel 020 7734 0370

No comments:

Post a Comment