Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tapped & Packed







I got to Tapped & Packed a few days after they opened their doors.  Everything was shiny, the staff was standing at attention and I was the only customer which was a welcome treat after being one of the herd at Lantana.  I was tipped off by the gracious owner of Bou Tea but I'm sure that Tapped & Packed won't be a secret for long. 

They were the only cafe besides Monmouth that seemed to make a serious commitment to filter coffee and having single origins.  In fact they had the only vac-pot (siphon) I saw on my tour, and also offered other brew methods; aeropress, filter and cafetiere.  Their equipment is all state of the art.  They are the only cafe I know of that offers coffee from the Union, Square Mile and Climpson & Sons making them the go to place if you wanted to taste all these offerings under the same roof.

All that and their Australian barista was the most interesting to look at. The espresso in the hopper was Climpson but they said they would be changing that often so you have to ask.  The owner seems to have a real commitment to art (the walls were already buzzing with it) and the perfect cup.

I'm sure they will have kinks to work out.  Keeping so much in stock and beans from three roasters fresh will be a challenge.  They are entering a crowded corner of soho and smartly offer what none of their neighbors have.

They get the newbie award.  It is the place to go to if you want to taste it all, all day long while looking at cute staff.




26 Rathbone Place, Fitzrovia London  W1T1JD

No comments:

Post a Comment